Output voltage at 1000 Hz, 5cm/sec. - 3.5 mV
Frequency range - 20-25.000 Hz
Frequency response - 20-20.000 Hz + 2 /- 1 dB
Tracking ability at 315Hz at recommended tracking force - 70 µm
Compliance, dynamic, lateral - 22 µm/mN
Stylus type - Nude Shibata
Stylus tip radius - r/ R 6/50 µm
Tracking force range - 1.4-1.7g (14-17 mN)
Tracking force, recommended - 1.5g (15 mN)
Internal impedance, DC resistance - 600 Ohm
Internal inductance - 300 mH
Recommended load resistance for stereo/mono connection - 47 kOhm/23.5 kOhm
Recommended load capacitance for stereo/mono connection - 150-300 pF/300-600 pF
Tracking angle - 20°
Cartridge body material - Lexan DMX Piano White
Coil wire material - Silver plated copper wire
Cartridge colour, body/stylus - White/White
Cartridge weight - 7.2g
Replacement stylus unit - 2M Mono SE
Ortofon 2M Mono Special Edition cartridge was specifically created as a tribute to the Mono Beatles albums Set released in 2014. The Beatles have an important place in many music lovers’ hearts and Ortofon is honoured to ensure high quality, modern replay from the new Mono Box Set.
Leif Johannsen, Ortofon Chief Officer Acoustics and Research, reveals the story behind the MONO cartridges and features the 2M MONO SE, the one MONO cartridge to play all the old and new mono records in existence, including the latest “The Beatles: The 22 Singles Collection”, released 22nd November 2019.
• The cartridge body manufactured from Lexan DMX Piano White, a revolutionary material which ensures high rigidity while eliminating unwanted resonances.
• A special upgraded engine which provides a high level of sonic accuracy.
• Split pole pins with a silver plated copper wire that enhances the details in the reproduction of the sound. The split pole pins enables moving magnet cartridges to have a flat frequency response as with a moving coil cartridge.
• r/R 6/50µm Nude Shibata stylus, which highly polished profile allows an exceedingly wide contact area to the groove walls and ensures notably detailed reproduction throughout the spectrum, including even the most high frequency groove information.
• Strapped output delivers the same output signal from both sets of pole pins. This effectively eliminates the need for mono-specific equipment, making it possible to enjoy true mono reproduction on any stereo playback system.
• The cartridge body has been streamlined to provide easy mounting and alignment. 2M Mono SE provides excellent compatibility in an assortment of playback systems and with a wide variety of phono preamps.
Why should you use a dedicated mono cartridge for playing vinyl mono records?
On a mono record the signal is cut only in the lateral dimension whereas a stereo record is cut at +/- 45 degrees into the opposing groove-walls, see the below figure.
A stereo cartridge will be able to replay stereo and mono records, because mono is a special version of stereo where the right and left channels are identical.
While a stereo cartridge can play mono records it can’t achieve the same signal precision between the two channels. A mono cartridge produces but one signal that is directed to both channels in the system. A mono cartridge playing a mono record produces a more forceful and stable image with a fuller, more impactful sound.
Another big advantage in using a mono cartridge to play mono records is the absence of response to vertical movement. This means that a mono cartridge is basically immune to the pinching effect which comes into action when the stylus is pushed vertically upward in very narrow grooves. Also the response to dust, dirt and wear is reduced substantially. The final result will be a clean and noiseless reproduction of the mono record.
This is why we recommend you 2M Mono SE for "The Beatles Mono Box Set" and “The Beatles: The 22 Singles Collection”.
Playing the Beatles Boxes with the 2M Mono SE cartridge will enhance your sound experience!